What is AGILE methodology?
When we talk about AGILE methodology or Agile Development, we refer to the short-term decision-making process carried out thanks to the collaboration of self-managed and multifunctional teams, especially in the technological field. In general, we can say that it is a matter of grouping a set of tasks in small repetitive stages and managing to increase the value contributed by each team, its self-management and self-assessment in order to be able to look at what works and what does not, and to be able to solve it or scale it. The solutions and milestones to be achieved are determined by the needs of the project.
The development process works as a chain in which each interaction in the life cycle constitutes a link. In the case of software development, these links include planning, requirements analysis, design, coding, testing and documentation. The purpose of this development model is to add value to the final product by eliminating any incidence in each phase, achieving error-free software.
This type of method gives priority to direct communication, limiting the use of technical documentation, cumbersome meetings, validations and revisions. In this way, a more agile and less formal transmission of information is achieved, which is why some people label the model as undisciplined.
How has the AGILE methodology transformed the software industry?
If we look back to the 80s and 90s, as technology gained prominence in the global economic landscape, we see that the evolution of the cascading model in the software sector took place. This model consisted of project management following 5 steps: requirements, design, implementation, verification and maintenance. This methodology led to a slower and more bureaucratic way of working which caused dissatisfaction among developers.
For this reason, the AGILE methodology was born, giving solution to these hierarchical obstacles and therefore translating into an improvement of the efficiency.
In order to effectively implement the agile software development model, four basic values must be met
- Individuals and interactions, as opposed to processes and tools.
- Software in operation, as opposed to exhaustive documentation.
- Collaboration with the client, as opposed to contractual negotiation.
- Response to change, as opposed to monitoring a plan.
It aims to eliminate all unnecessary activities or tasks, encouraging greater efficiency of the whole team.
Principles of AGILE methodology
In the AGILE methodology framework, a series of elements have been determined that would constitute the principles for implementing this model in your entity or team. We analyze these principles:
- Self-organized teams are of vital importance the figure of the person who manages and controls the work teams, which must be able to organize themselves autonomously. An excess of hierarchy would lead to problems of dependence among the collaborators.
- Customer satisfaction is the element on which everything revolves, it is achieved by providing customers with valuable products that meet their needs.
- Simplicity in the activities. The aim is to reduce the level of complexity as much as possible.
Deliveries per week – or sprints – we seek to establish the week as a temporary measure to carry out the execution of tasks and measure results.
- Adoption of new requirements, where any solution or change in the product is not a step backwards, but an improvement.
- Measuring progress, objective metrics can be established to keep track of progress.
- Work closely, close communication is pursued, carrying out activities in the same workplace rather than from offices.
- The search for technical perfection and sophisticated design, both factors must be connected, everything is a set that determines quality.
- Direct face-to-face communication, the team leader must convey his messages clearly. It is based on regular meetings with both clients and colleagues.
- Capacity to adapt to changing environments, the circumstances throughout the development of a project are changing so adaptation is fundamental.
- Sustainable development, the seek for a sustainable model of development, so it allows the continuous activity flow.
Pros and cons of the AGILE methodology
- Continuous improvement in work processes.
- Faster deliveries.
- Close internal and external communication.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- Protagonism in creativity or ideation and analysis.
- The open nature of this model encourages unproductive behaviour, so it is important to have a team leader who is controlling the whole process and guiding his or her team.
- The high importance of communication means extra time. Feedback and analysis are precious, but that time must be taken into account.
- The need for employees with multifunctional skills, more expensive to find.
- Inaccurate descriptions can lead to inaccuracies in operations. The trust of all team members is vital.
From what we have said, we believe that the benefits of using the AGILE methodology could not be more significant. Starting with the fact that this methodology increases the motivation and the involvement of the team, going through the fact that it increases the speed and efficiency and, above all, ending up by mentioning how it improves the quality of the resulting final product.
We are based on this methodology because when we knew it and began to investigate it, we only saw positive points, and so, after years of working in this way, we can ensure its effectiveness. Our workers are motivated and connected every day, so why not give it a try?
The AGILE methodology was born as a method focused on software development, but surely it can be beneficial in your company or team, whatever the nature of your product.
Contact us if you want to know more and we can see together how to implement this methodology in your company, ensure that all your employees know their role perfectly and ensure perfect compliance to optimize efficiency, effectiveness and motivation.
The technology has arrived into the hospitalityThe digitalization process in the hospitality industry has been evolving in such a way in recent years that it has become a major factor in opening new businesses or transforming existing premises to achieve better income...
CONTEXTUALIZATION The digital transformation of companies is key to prospering in a competitive and constantly evolving business climate. No matter the size of your business, using the right technology tools will increase your sales possibilities, the number of...
Find out how users are discovering new applications in the main Marketplaces. There are many options for users to discover new apps in Marketplaces. From the traditional "word of mouth" from family and friends to other methods of paid traffic and other organic sources...
What is a MVP? It refers to the Minimum Viable Product, also known as MVP. We will define it as the most basic thing you can build to test the value you offer to the customer. We will develop enough features to satisfy and understand early adopters. Sometimes, the...
How is teleworking affecting companies? After a week all confined to the house, we can draw very valuable conclusions. Let's put it in context: There are many countries that are still not characterized by a high number of workers working from home, quite the...
We are in front of the time where we receive too many communications from different companies, added to our own from friends and other people. On average a person receives 20 emails a day, 3 SMS, 436 messages per WhatsApp and not to mention the 5,000 advertising...
Following the social media revolution, companies are increasingly focused on being able to communicate with the right audience in the easiest way possible. Before this happened, communication was mostly offline, with stratospheric costs and results difficult to...
Businesses in this era are increasingly turning their attention towards mobile apps for the improvement of their business process, overall performance, to generate exceptional sales leads, retain customers and promote the image of the brand. For enhanced connectivity...